Overpriced Weddings

The following is a guest post from Marissa at Thirty Six Months as part of the Yakezie blog swap. Marissa writes about personal finance and entrepreneurship with a touch of style. You can find my post there.

I’m 28 years old and have been to my share of weddings, both as a guest, and as part of the wedding party and still can’t wrap my head around the outrageous costs associated with them.

To me, weddings are a day of celebration with family and friends. That, however is not the outcome of the day. Personally I would get married on a beach and use the rest of the money for a down payment, or use it to pay down my loans. Those of us who watch wedding shows on TV are surprised to see people spend anywhere between $10,000-$50,000 on a wedding. Sometimes I wonder if people understand how much it sucks to be in debt, and spending all that money on one day is ridiculous. I know that I am in the minority when I say this.

Weddings, particularly large weddings have become something of a status symbol. They allow for the family to essentially show off, at least in some cultures it does. The largest wedding that I attended was over 1000 people. 1000 people I don’t know that many people, let alone like them all, but it seems like some people need to. The smallest had 110.

I admire people who are savvy with their wedding costs and comprehend the fact that building a future does not require a fancy, over the top, $2000 cake. There are so many ways to reduce the cost of your wedding and allow your wedding party to put in some work and not money.

1. Have a friend DJ the event. I have seen this multiple times. Friends are happy to have the ability to entertain the crowd and they don’t have to spend $100s of dollars on gifts.
  2. Ask your wedding party to help make wedding favours. As a brides maid, I much rather feel like part of the wedding assembly than feel guilty and spend money on a gift.
  3. Destination wedding. Ok, this is purely selfish as your guest have to pay their own way, but it’s really cheap and you get to be married on a beach. A beach!
  4. Have your wedding on a weekday. This kills 2 birds- reduces the number who can attend and halls are cheaper on a weekday.

There are tons of other ways to save money, and not put yourself in a hole when planning the happiest day of your life. I don’t necessarily blame the brides and grooms for the ballooning costs of weddings. There is an entire industry designed to cater to brides and help them fulfill their princess fantasies. I mean most young girls dream of their wedding from an early age, and seeing the possibility of the vision is a lot for most to handle. Parents are also sympathetic to the rising costs as they mostly want to see their kids happy. While not as apparent in North American cultures, weddings symbolize a joining of 2 families thus the need of a exorbitant show of wealth.

Having spent thousands of dollars on friends’ weddings, I long for the day when something decides to get married at City Hall with me as their witness. There is no bigger honor than that.

I would have to agree with Marissa. I am getting married in a few months and we are not breaking the bank for a few hours in a day. Check out more of what I think about weddings right here

20 comments

1. Michelle says:

Destination weddings are always so pretty and save a ton of money.

2. I agree some people go so overboard with weddings to return to an apartment, where they could have put that money into a purchase of a new home.

3. Including honeymoon and rings, we spend just over $15,000 on our wedding – but we made a big effort to keep it cheap! I can easily see how people could spend double or triple that. Yikes!

4. A THOUSAND people?? I can't even imagine. My sweetie and I are at the opposite end of the spectrum — our guest list is 19, including the wedding party. If her folks have a 180-degree change in attitude, we'll have 4 more, but still we're keeping it small on purpose.

5. cmwywec says:

@Remy I completely agree!

@Julie $15k is not bad including rings and honeymoon. Good for you!

@Lorillia Lol! That is so true!

@Michelle Destination weddings are beautiful. My brother got married in Hawaii a few years ago. It was so nice.

@Marissa you're so right, I am not sure if I would have gone to Hawaii if my brother didn't get married there.

6. Also, by having a destination wedding you're also shrinking the number of people who will RSVP "yes," so you can invite more and spend less. :) That's horrible….but so true…

7. […] bride and groom in the wedding in order to maximize value. Marissa from Thirty Six Months shares several tips to save money on a wedding on Call Me What You Want Even Cheap. Call Me What You Want Even Cheap wrote about how weddings […]

8. Chuck says:

I weddings were up to the men it would cost about as much as a case of beer. Women go nuts over a wedding. What a waste. My wife picked the cheapest wedding cake offered for $300.00. What a joke! We could have spent a month in Hawaii for the cost of our three hour wedding.

9. I do not think that a person should go into debt to have the wedding of their dreams. As long as the couple could afford it then anything goes. Whatever they are spending goes into the economy.

I have been to some extravagent weddings and some simple weddings. The amount of money I give the couple as a wedding gift depends on how close my relationship is with them and not how nice the venue is. I usually give min $100 and max $250 for my self and double that amount if my husband went with me.

10. Miriam Santiago says:

Making a wedding as classy as possible is the idea, but I can't imagine having to spend anywhere near $50,000 for one. Even considering we got hitched in one of thelong island wedding venues, our bill didn't go even one third that much.

11. Latonya Deberry says:

There are so many ways in which we could save on our wedding. Getting a party hire in Perth is one since the location is very important. Other than that, we can always opt for a DIY wedding paraphernalia and oranaments.

12. Shamica says:

Wedding venues Warwickshire are affordable and I prefer that place for my wedding celebration. I agree with you that we should just spend the rest of our money for more important things.

13. Tee_rrance says:

Looking for caterer adds also to the list for expensive wedding. However, there are available caterers in new york that provide great food, plus got a number of themes to choose from. Niiice.

14. If you have ever watched the movie “The Wedding Planner” with Jennifer Lopez, she was always out-of-sight with an ear wick feeding the words to the groom to say to his bride.

15. The key is to get started. If you can create some pleasurable routines, you may find that the subject grows on you.

16. Wedding is really a vital, memorable and most wanted part for anybodies life and that's why there have a huge demand for choosing wedding ring. I think if anyone willing to get best wedding diamond ring so then they can visit

17. ..Most people will have the opportunity to share gospel truths with others. Because there are many conflicting views about marriage and family in the world today..

18. Kelly says: