I Got Into A Car Accident!

I was driving out of a parking lot last week when someone rear ended me. How do you rear end someone in a parking lot. I wasn’t upset or anything because I know this kind of thing happens, but I am still thinking how do you rear end someone in a parking lot. It’s one thing if you’re driving and someone suddenly breaks in front of you, but that wasn’t my situation.

I came out my car to ask the driver what happened and he said he was too busy looking at me! Aww that’s sweet, and thanks for the compliment, but you’re still paying for my damage buddy!

He doesn’t want to put a claim through his insurance company, so he told me to get estimates and let him know. That’s completely fine with me. I still took all of his information just in case he decides to stiff me. In that case I will put a claim through my insurance.

I checked out two auto body shops and one estimate was $450 and the other was $489. There are a few scratches on my bumper, but they have to repaint the whole entire bumper to do a proper job. One of the auto body shops that I went to was all too eager for me to charge the driver who hit me more money and pocket the rest. He told me that he would give me an estimate for $450 and only charge me $350, so I could pocket $100. Isn’t that illegal? I will admit it’s tempting, but I am not doing that. After all rear ending someone could happen to anyone and if the tables were turned I wouldn’t want that to happen to me.

One of the auto body shops said it would take him a full day to complete the job and the other said he could do it over the weekend. I’ll check out one more closer to where I live to see if they could do the job in one day as well. I really don’t want to be without my car for a couple of days. If I put a claim through my insurance I would get a rental car for free. It’s definitely tempting to just go through my insurance, but I’ll give the guy a break.

Oh yeah, I also went to my doctor to get checked out just to make sure everything is okay with my back and neck. I really didn’t want to go, because I felt fine. But since my family kept nagging me to go, I decided to just get it over with. Thankfully everything looks fine.

Have you ever been rear ended or rear ended someone?

38 comments

1. Michelle says:

Glad you're ok! Car accidents are the worst.

2. edwardra3 says:

That sucks. I think parking lot accidents are actually pretty common, because everybody's going in different and unpredictable directions. Espcially since so few people use a signal light in parking lots. Glad your okay.

3. Contented Momma says:

I was rear ended on an icy road day on the way to daycare. I knew she would hit me because she was going WAY too fast for conditions but I had nowhere to go (was waiting in the left turn lane with cars coming both ways). Thankfully I just let off the brake a bit and she didn't hit us too hard, but my son was frightened. Not bad enough for a claim or a new car seat, but it was quite fishy that she didn't have her license on her nor any insurance, but I don't think insurance is actually required in my state. I was still frustrated when I would see her dropping her kids off after that.

4. Hah! What a way to introduce yourself after running into someone. 'I ran into your car because I was looking at you'. Hope he's got good insurance. The only time I was ever rear-ended was at a traffic light. The lady behind me spilled her coffee and in trying to keep it from pouring all over her interior, her foot slipped off the brake just long enough to crunch into me.

5. Wow — I'm glad it wasn't more serious. Yes, you're right, it's illegal — don't do that — go to a body shop that doesn't suggest it.

6. evencheap says:

That's what I am going to do. His suggestion actually turned me off from wanting to do business with him.

7. I'm glad you are doing ok!!!

I got rear ended at a red light a year and half ago when I was pregnant with my daughter. I hit my steering wheel which knocked two of my front teeth out. After over a year of painful surgeries , dental implants, and $17,000 in dental work, I now have beautiful porcelain veneers (I had to get all of my front teeth done to match the ones that were knocked out).

Unfortunately, it was a painful giant nightmare mess and I endured 6 or 7 painful surgeries as a result. It really sucked.

I'm so glad that you weren't hurt. Dealing with accident injuries and insurance companies can be a complete nightmare.

8. Yeah, she is perfect! I was only 4 months pregnant at the time so it was stressful thinking that she could have gotten hurt. My OB said that she was perfectly protected in there so she is just fine.

The bad news was that since I was pregnant I couldn't begin getting my dental implants started until after I gave birth. This meant wearing a partial denture for 6 or 7 months until I could start getting dental work done. THIS REALLY SUCKED.

My teeth look great now. Actually, they look perfect since I had to get them all porcelain. It was a tough road though…one I wouldn't wish on anyone. Dental implants involve drilling titanium into your gums. I also had to have multiple bone grafts. I'm so glad it's over.

9. Madison says:

I'm glad to hear you're okay!

Thankfully I've never been in any sort of car crash. My husband has been rear ended twice in the past three years. The first caused no damage; basically it was just a small tap. The second caused a big dent on the corner of the bumper. It gave my husband some back and neck problems and he had to see a chiropractor for a while. The other person's insurance covered the repairs and all of his medical bills. Not once did my husband submit a claim to our insurance. Every phone call, every document, everything was done under the other person's insurance. That's what the police officer recommended my husband do.

Hopefully you're able to work it out with the guy. I don't know if I'd feel comfortable not going through the insurance company.

10. I've only gotten into one, and it was a winter day where there was a lot of snow and I bumped into another car. My bumper suffered a fair amount of damage, while the other car was ok. But that's it!

11. You should drive a little more conscious next time, life is too damn short to waste it.

12. Limo Miami says:

Nice content with lots of information! I have a car and some times I drive it. After reading about your car accident experience I learn some topics which are really effective for me. Like your content. Thanks for this necessary allocation.

13. Belhamt says:

Accident is a serious matter which occurs very instantly and unknowingly. Car accident now a day mostly happens in the town areas. Sometime accident happens due to bad driving and some time due to disturbance of driver. Accident between vehicles also hampers many more lives. So while riding a car or any vehicle the driver should be very conscious and attentive this may secure many lives in society. From my own experience I got a lesson from an accident that whenever driving never talk in phone and also you should have car insurance which will help you to get money for repairing of your car.
    porsche repair encino

14. Free Samples says:

Pretty interesting event about your car accident! Actually that man was really a good person and that is why he didn't do anything awkward. But whatever it was you have to be more careful when you will drive car because next time it may more dangerous event. So be aware before one more event. Thanks

15. Sadak says:

Accident really very sad thing .It takes away a mom from child and all the sad things happen. Mostly the car crash happens due to more use of the engine or accident between two vehicles. To smash a car is really very easy due to technology. Now a day so many bombs and so many crackers are available in market that anyone can smash a car without any problem. Also robbing a car is easy due to technology. Blindly one person will be able to Robb a car using remote control. In UK some people smashed a police car without any risk and also many people and many live destroyed in that.
    Mercedes Service

16. Michelle Clark says:

Sometimes accidents happens bad driving and sometimes due to disturbance of driver, so while riding a car or any vehicle the driver should be very conscious. There is no strict rule by the government for vehicle rider by which accidents are increasing day by day. If these things maintained properly, car accidents will be avoided.

BMW service Ventura

17. Really it is a so sad news which has glad to me and it is a very useful discussion which will be very useful to me as well and i can say that every drivers need to follow your article as well. Thanks!!!

18. Gers says:

After saw this blog it was confirmed that customer’s feedback also taken into consideration. It is good. By this customers got satisfaction and next time they can get their wanted products in market. The manufacture industries and the service centers are also got inspiration for the better one and make popular. In such process communication gap disappear and primary goal of a business strategy achieved.

19. Sometimes accident happen in the parking places, at the time of parking many people face the accident and it creates problem for the both sides. In the accident many people like to claim for the insurance and it will take some time, better decide in the spot for the repairing, it will be better for both side.

20. Beily says:

Having car is really very comfortable to everyone for traveling. But to repair a car is really a very tough task if it is showing any problem. Most of the repairing happens in car accident and in those cases though the car parts are very costly so it became difficult for a common man to buy the car parts. Also during rainy season battery problem is the most common one and also battery cost is so high. So better maintain the car in a proper manner.

21. Richard says:

The death rates due to car accident are increasing. The accident are generally occurs due to loose of control over driving. The death rate in accident are more than others, so car riders have to be more aware which will save many lives.
    Volkswagen Wilsonville OR

22. Rover Parts says:

well, i believe he was already doing it a couple of time already, as for the driver, lol, either he was trying to get your attention to date you, which is a pretty bad way, or he just sucks at parking

23. Many people around the world have great affection for their cars. They care a lot and even a single scratch makes them uncomfortable. Anyway, there is no need to worry about such minor problems because the car paint scratch repair is not a hard task in recent days.

24. Reedor says:

Before you drive a car you make sure that you will not drink any type of alcohol or any toxic which makes you mentally inactive or unconscious. You have to be careful and drive slowly. You make sure that all the doors are closed clearly before running your car. These things are very important to avoid any type of incidents while driving your car. Without insurance having a car is risky for a car owner and a life insurance is needed for driver.

25. brookskiley says:

There are many techniques behind a car and car driving. New graphics are generated to minimize the accident occurs daily. For this only graphical techniques is not responsible, we individually should follow all rules and make the car driving safety.

26. Lipozene says:

like when people are trying to challenge me, and I appreciate that you maintain a fairly active dialogue with your readers. Couldn't agree any more. Your advice is great.

27. I like your website very much thanks for your share.all the imformation are useful for me,I will come again .